Thursday, August 6, 2015

Moving Up!

I am going into my 10th year of teaching. Time flies!

The last few years I have changed schools, either because I have had to, being young and having less seniority than any other permanent teacher at my schools, or because I was trying to get closer to home to have a few more minutes at home with my little girl. Because of this, I haven't always had much control over deciding which grade I was going to teach. This year, I had a bit of control. I had to choose between moving up with my first graders into second grade, or moving up to fourth grade. I chose the latter.

I love teaching any grade. I love teaching, period.

I loved organizing my first grade class last year, down to deciding between tables and desks for my students (I chose tables and didn't regret it for a second during the year) to decorating my reading corner and designing my classroom job task cards for the bulletin board. I loved organizing my program and implementing my lessons. I grew a lot last year, learned a lot about myself and my teaching style.




Classroom Jobs Display Set


This year, I have to rethink everything. Last time I taught fourth grade, two years ago, I hadn't had time to get organized the way I do this year. I was ill, waiting for surgery, and was trying to survive. This year, everything will be PERFECT!! (Yah, right).

Now I am looking for ways to organize my class similarly as my first grade class, but with my larger furniture. I want my class to be appealing and welcoming, organized, age-appropriate and conducive to individual and group work.

I also need to update some of my materials and projects to make them level-appropriate, because they are as interesting and appealing to my little kids as to the older kids in the school.

I have my work cut out for me and I have a lot of thinking to do.

I welcome comments and suggestions about blogs, articles and sites to check out.

No comments:

Post a Comment